Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, India
The flagship hospital of the Apollo Group, Apollo Hospitals Chennai, was established in 1983. Today it is one of the most respected hospitals in the world, and is also amongst the most preferred destinations for both patients from several parts of India, as well as for medical tourism and medical value travel. The hospital specializes in cutting-edge medical procedures. It has over 60 departments spearheaded by internationally trained doctors who are skillfully supported by dedicated patient-care personnel. It is one of the few hospitals in Chennai that have state of the art facilities for various health disorders.
It has been a pioneer among the hospitals in Chennai, and even in India, in many different treatments and procedures.
Apollo Hospitals Chennai – Milestones
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai successfully performed a rare complex intervention procedure on an 80-year-old man who had a giant abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA).
- Apollo Specialty Hospitals, Nandanam is the first single specialty oncology hospital to achieve the Stage 6 award of the HIMSS Analytics Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM).
- First donor incompatible kidney transplant performed at Apollo Hospitals Chennai using technique of Column adsorption of blood group antibodies.
- A new dedicated specially designed Nile Pax stent was used to clear the blockage that was formed in the coronary artery involving two branches, at Apollo Hospitals Chennai.
- Endovascular Aneurysm repair for 2 large aneurysms simultaneously performed at Apollo Hospitals Chennai.
- First hospital in India to perform Total Knee Replacement and the Illizarov Procedure.
- Pioneers of Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Procedure in India.
- Pioneers of multi-organ and cord blood transplants in India.
- In less than three years since inception, the team at the Apollo Centre for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Chennai completed over 100 Liver Transplantations in June 2011, marking a noteworthy first-of-its-kind milestone in the city of Chennai.
- First Indian hospital to introduce newer techniques in coronary angioplasty, stereotactic radiotherapy and radio-surgery (for brain tumors).
- First Indian hospital to be awarded the 1S0 9001 and ISO 14001 Certifications.
- First hospital in South India to get accreditation from the Joint Commission International USA.
- Declared as a 'Centre of Excellence' by the Government of India.
- Rated as the "Best Private Sector Hospital in India" by The Week magazine.
- Winner of healthcare awards 2008, instituted by the Express Healthcare Publications (The Indian Express Group) for Overall Best Hospital of the year, Operational Excellence and Leveraging Global Opportunity
- Apollo Hospitals Chennai introduces an innovative healthcare delivery model - Apollo Day Surgery, which is the first-of-its-kind at Alwarpet in Chennai and a dedicated facility for minor surgeries requiring short-stay.
- Centre for liver disease and transplantation, Apollo Hospitals Chennai has completed 100 liver transplantations in less than 4 years.
- Latest M guard stent technology, a specially designed Mesh covered stent, was used to save a 27 year old man from an acute heart attack ! Apollo Hospital first to introduce the technology in Chennai !
- Tamilnadu's first 'Movement Disorder Clinic' launched at Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai.
- Surgeons of Apollo Hospitals, Chennai performed the first simultaneous Liver-Intestine-Pancreas transplant in India
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai introduce Molecular diagnostic laboratory and cytogenetics.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai interventional radiologists perform BRTO - Retrograde balloon occlusion test for varices.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai interventional radiologists perform, Vascular closure device for puncture site with PERCLOSE.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai interventional radiologists perform Cutting balloon angioplasty for carotid in-stent stenosis.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai introduces a rare case of combined surgery, a Joint replacement of left knee and right hip in a patient with ochronotic arthritis.
- Apollo Speciality Hospital became the first to help with safe collection of stem cells from a volunteer donor from DATRI.
- Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai is one of the few centers in India with facilities to search for a potential unrelated donor and offer transplantation. Also, In fact, the hospital has been instrumental in performing 50 such procedures over the past few years thus offering a unique opportunity for patients to get cured.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the best multi-speciality hospital in Chennai by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the 2nd best private hospital in India for Paediatrics by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the 2nd best private hospital in India for Neurology by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the 2nd best private hospital in India for Cardiology by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the 3rd best private hospital in India for Diabetology by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai was ranked the 4th best private hospital in India for Oncology by THE WEEK-A C Nielsen, Best Hospital Survey 2013.
- Thoraco Omphalopagus conjoined female twins from Tanzania were successfully separated at Apollo Children's Hospital.